Join Our Team
Getting Hired at MFD
Recruitment Period- June 13-30
Written Test Dates- July 9 & 11
Physical Agility Test- July 16
Application Packet Due- July 18
Panel Interview- Week of August 7
Chief's Interview- Week of August 21
Dates are subject to change and every effort will be made to notify candidates accordingly.
Q: What qualifications does it take to be a Moore Firefighter?
1. Be a high school graduate or have your General Education Diploma (GED).
2: Possess and maintain a valid Oklahoma driver's license. If from out of state, you must be able to get a valid Oklahoma driver's license.
3: Must have a National Registry EMT License within the first year of employment.
Q: Is EMT required?
A: An EMT license is not required to apply. But, candidates that do not possess an EMT license will be required to attend and pass EMT class, pass the registry exam and become a Nationally Registered EMT within the first year in order to maintain employment. The Moore Fire Department will pay the related expenses and provide time off when needed for those needing EMT.
Q: How long is the hiring process for Firefighter?
A: The hiring process for recruit firefighter takes about 4 months.
Q: What steps are in the hiring process?
A: Sign-up for the testing process & pay for the written exam.
- Written Exam, we currently use Fire & Police Selection, Inc. (FPSI)
- Complete application packet
- Physical Agility Test, requirements are as follows:
- 1.5 mile run within 13 minutes
- 35 sit ups within 2 minutes
- 7 pull-ups, without release (palms away, full extension, chin over the bar)
- 20 ft. balance beam while carrying a 20lb. hose
- 125 lb. dummy carry completely off the ground (50 ft. away and back)
- Lumbar test using 15 lb. weight
- Oral Board Interview
- Background Check
- Chiefs Interview
- Drug Test
- Psychological Test
- Pension physical
Q: Where do I attend the Recruit Academy?
A: The Moore Fire Department holds our own academy at the Training Center located at 725 NW 12th Street, Moore, OK 73160.
Q: Are there any age limitations on who can apply for the job?
A: You must be at least 18 years of age and no older than 44 years of age to enter the pension system.
Q: Are your firefighters required to be residents of Moore?
Q: What are the medical standards for entrance into the pension system?
A: See PDF document from the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement system for more information.
Q: Are tattoos allowed at the Moore Fire Department?
A: Tattoos must be covered while on duty or while representing the Moore Fire Department.
- Prohibited areas: Head, neck, face, hands & fingers (or any area that can’t be covered while in uniform)
- Body piercing and intentional (decorative) disfigurement are prohibited from view. All piercings and intentional decorative disfigurements shall be covered while the staff member is on duty or representing the department.
Starting Pay: $47,771.84
Following a successful probation, firefighters are eligible for annual merit increases and COLAs to the current maximum base pay for Firefighter rank of $77,170.
- State Firefighters Pension
- 216 Sick hours per year
- 10-24 Vacation hours per month
- 11 Holidays per year
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Incentive Pay
- EMT-D, Advanced EMT, Paramedic Incentive Pay
- Hazmat Tech Incentive Pay
- Certified Car Seat Tech Incentive Pay
- Longevity Pay after 3 years