The City Council consists of Mayor, who is elected at-large, and six council members, who are elected from three wards (districts) of the City. The Mayor is head of the city government for all ceremonial purposes, and should the need arise, is the government head for purposes of military law. He has no regular administrative duties other than in signing written obligations of the City as the Council may require.
Council Members also make up the Public Works Authority, Risk Management Board and Economic Development Authority.
Except as otherwise noted in the City Charter, all powers of the City are vested in the City Council. Among other things, the Council has power:
- To appoint and remove the City Manager;
- By ordinance to enact municipal legislation;
- To raise revenue and make appropriations, and to regulate bond elections, the issuance of bonds, sinking funds, refunding indebtedness, salaries and wages, and all other fiscal affairs of the city;
- To inquire into the conduct of any office, department, or agency of the city government, and investigate municipal affairs;
- To appoint, elect, or remove members of the Personnel Board, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and other quasi-legislative, quasi-judicial, or advisory officers and authorities;
- To grant pardons for violations of the charter and ordinances, including the remission of fines and costs;
- To regulate elections, the initiative and referendum, and recall;
- To regulate the organization, powers, duties, and functions of the municipal court;
- To create, change, and abolish all offices, departments, and agencies of the city government other than those created by the City Charter, and to assign additional powers, duties, and functions to those created by the Charter.
The City of Moore is divided into three wards for purposes of City Council representation. The wards are redistricted ("redrawn") every ten years after the Federal census, with the intent to provide as equal representation by population as possible.
Please click here for a map of the wards with Population Totals included.