Planning & Zoning

Current Planning

Zoning regulates what uses can go where and the development standards to which new development must be built. The Planning Division maintains a zoning map of the City that regulates the placement of land uses and densities in Moore. Property owners may request a change in zoning to accommodate future development plans.

All new development proposals are evaluated to ensure consistency with the comprehensive plan, zoning and other city development regulations. If a proposed use is not allowed by-right under the Zoning Code, then a rezoning application must be filed and will require review at public hearings by the Planning Commission and the City Council. The rezoning process takes approximately 8-12 weeks and includes 2-3 public hearings, depending on the comprehensive plan land use designation.

Current Zoning Map

If you need to file for a zoning change, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment with a planner before coming into the office. The planner can assist in scheduling applications for a Planning Commission meeting, reviewing the City Code for development requirements and compliance, and advising applicants on the comprehensive plan conformity. Call 405-793-5053 to make an appointment or for more information regarding the rezoning process.

The Planning Division provides zoning verification letters upon request for a fee. These letters are commonly required for the State of Oklahoma ABLE Commission and for the sale or refinancing of commercial properties.

The City of Moore Subdivision Regulations apply to the subdivision of land within the City of Moore and guide the land development process and encourages safe, orderly, and financially sustainable development practices. The Subdivision Regulations govern streets, driveways, easements, drainage facilities, lots and blocks, and parkland dedication.

Requests for the subdivision of land are separated into two categories:

1. Lot Splits involve splitting a parent tract into 4 or less lots. Lot splits of 5 acres or more can be approved administratively. Lot splits of under 5 acres can only be approved by Moore City Council. Call 405-793-5053 to make an appointment or for more information regarding the lot split process.

2. Plats involve splitting a parent tract into more than 4 lots and are reviewed by the Moore Planning Commission and Moore City Council. All commercial properties must be platted before a building permit will be issued. For platting, a Preliminary and Final Plat is required. For simple platting of 1-2 lots, the preliminary plat requirement may be waived. Call 405-793-5053 to make an appointment or for more information regarding the platting process.

rev. 11/24/20

For Public Improvement Standards, please click here

The Planning Division is responsible for the maintenance and enforcement of the City's floodplain and floodway ordinances as mandated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The Assistant City Planner operates in the capacity of the Floodplain Administrator.

The Floodplain Administrator is responsible for administering and implementing the provisions of the city’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance. All development in the floodplain requires a permit. Substantially damaged or improved structures, where the cost of repair or improvements to a structure equals or exceeds 50% of the building’s market value, also require building permits and elevation certificates, and are held to the same standards as new construction.

City of Moore ordinances requires all new construction and substantially improved structures to be built at a minimum of 12 inches above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE), verified by an elevation certificate. Without these regulations, subsidized flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program would not be available to property owners in Moore. Any development in the floodplain without a permit should be reported to the Floodplain Administrator.

Citizens can obtain flood information such as flood zone designations, copies of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), letters of map changes, elevation certificates and floodplain development regulations from the Floodplain Manager at 405-793-5053 or through FEMA’s website.

On January 16, 2021, FEMA released an updated flood hazard map that includes parts of Moore, Norman and Oklahoma City. With the update process, FEMA reviewed the existing individual floodplain removals for revalidation (Letter of Map Amendment or LOMA). The City believes that all existing LOMAs were revalidated, however if you believe that your property was not included in the revalidation, or you have questions about how the map update could affect your property, please contact the City’s Floodplain Manager, Sarah Copeland, at 405-793-5053 for more information.

How can I find out if my home is in a floodplain?

FEMA’s Map Resource Center is a user-friendly way to determine what is in a floodplain.

If my property is in the floodplain, am I required to have flood insurance?

All property located in the FEMA floodplain has been identified to be of a higher risk of flooding during rain events. Although neither the City of Moore nor FEMA require flood insurance, you may be required to carry flood insurance by your mortgage company.

If my property is in the floodplain, am I limited to the use of my property?

Any development within the floodplain requires a floodplain permit. City Code stipulates that all development take place at least 1’ above the base flood elevation and any fill in the floodplain cannot change the base flood elevation. Please call the city’s floodplain manager for more information.

My house is in the floodplain but it never floods. Can I remove my house from the floodplain?

You may be able to remove your house from the floodplain if you can prove that the finished floor elevation of the house is at least 1’ above the floodplain Base Flood Elevation (Letter of Map Amendment or LOMA). This requires hiring a surveyor to fill out an Elevation Certificate and submitting the documentation to FEMA.

The floodplain maps were updated or revised and now my mortgage company says I have to get flood insurance. What can I do?

If you have an existing LOMA, oftentimes these ae revalidated when FEMA updates or revises the floodplain maps. If new data shows that the LOMA no longer meets FEMA requirements, the LOMA can be voided. If you have an existing LOMA and received notification from any source that your LOMA has been voided, you can request FEMA review the documentation and re-issue of the LOMA.

If the floodplain boundaries were changed and a property that was previously not in a floodplain is now located in a floodplain, the property owner can complete the LOMA process to remove the home from the floodplain, if the finished floor elevation is 1’ above the Base Flood Elevation.