Stormwater Management

To Report a Stormwater Violation, please call 405-793-5052.

The City of Moore Stormwater Management Program is a comprehensive program comprised of various program elements and activities designed to reduce stormwater pollution and eliminate prohibited non-stormwater discharges through a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal stormwater discharge permit issued by the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality.

Public Education

Public Education is a big part of the program. To make our educational campaign as comprehensive as possible, we have provided our brochures and posters for public distribution.


Land Disturbance Permits & Construction Permits are now required!

Who needs to get a Construction Stormwater Permit?
Any new construction project that meets the following criteria must obtain a City of Moore Construction Stormwater Permit:
a. All new commercial, industrial, institutional, utility, or multi-family residential construction projects.
b. All new residential, commercial, or industrial subdivisions.

What is a Construction Stormwater Permit?
This permit allows you to discharge your stormwater runoff into the MS4. To successfully obtain your permit, the following materials must be submitted for review:
a. Copy of NOI to DEQ
b. A site plan that locates all MS4 inlets and outlets and sediment basins
c. A SWP3 prepared in the format provided by the City.

Why do I need a Construction Stormwater Permit?
This permit helps us monitor what steps you are taking to minimize the amount of sediment, trash, and pollutants that will be released into the MS4 during construction.

When should I get a Construction Stormwater Permit?
Before you start moving dirt! It is always advisable to meet with the Stormwater Compliance Inspector as soon as possible to discuss the project. But whatever you do, don’t start moving dirt until you get the permit. Failure to get a permit prior to commencing the project may result in daily fines and/or costly delays.

What happens when I’ve completed my project?
When you are ready to file the final plat, the Stormwater Compliance Inspector will inspect your project for the required erosion control measures. After all measures are complete, your plat will be released to be filed at Cleveland County. However, as the developer, you will always retain responsibility for the public infrastructure, with few exceptions. For builders, all permanent erosion control measures must be in place prior to getting a permanent CO.

Does a builder in a subdivision have to go through all this?
If you are building in a platted subdivision or part of a larger development plan, the permit can be transferred to you using the form provided by the City. In this case a formal SWP3, NOI, or Construction Stormwater Permit is not necessary to be filed with each building permit.

What exactly am I signing when I sign the Construction Stormwater Permit application?
Don’t take this permit lightly. When you sign it, you are certifying that you understand what is required of you with the submitted SWP3. If your engineer prepares your SWP3 and Erosion Control Plans, it is imperative that you read and understand it. You can be held legally liable for the actions described in the permit. Some actions that you can be held liable for include:
a. Bi-Weekly or weekly inspections of the erosion control measures
b. Repairing and/or maintaining erosion control measures
c. Keeping records of inspections and maintenance

What is the difference between a Construction Stormwater Permit and the Land Disturbance Permit?
A Construction Stormwater Permit is for activities associated with a construction project. A Land Disturbance Permit is for activities that are not associated with an impending construction or development project, such as clearing and grubbing more than 1 acre. Most projects require a Construction Stormwater Permit. Regardless of which project it is, the City uses a combined permit for both activities.

Say What!?! This program uses a multitude of acronyms. To understand what people are talking about, read below:
MS4: The City’s drainage system
ESCs: Erosion and Sediment Control measures, may include silt fence, sod, rock dikes, sandbags
SWP3: The written plan on how you will reduce pollution entering the MS4
BMPs: The generally accepted standards on how to control erosion and sediment

New Construction Requirements

To assist our staff in monitoring the quality of the stormwater runoff, new construction projects must submit additional information as to how they will control sedimentation and pollutants from their site. This can be accomplished in two ways: Option 1: Construction Stormwater Permit Transfer. This option is only available to those building within a platted subdivision. Although the easiest option, it may not be available for all builders. To choose this option, the builder and the developer must each execute the permit transfer document. This document certifies that the builder will continue to perform and maintain the inspections and Best Management Practices (BMPs) for their lot(s). Option 2: Construction Storwmater Discharge Permit. This option will generally apply to those projects that are not within a platted subdivision. The builder will be required to submit a Construction Stormwater Discharge Permit Application, along with all supporting materials, such as an erosion control plan, and the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWP3). The detail of the SWP3 will correspond with the complexity of the project. In all cases, the forms provided for the City’s SWP3 must be filled out and turned in with the application. In addition to the new paperwork requirements, additional drainage inspections have been set up for new construction projects. It should be noted that the builder holds the responsibility to ensure that the developer’s approved drainage plan is protected throughout the project, and that the project does not impact that overall drainage plan. However, the city will do 2 separate stormwater inspections to identify any major lot-specific drainage and/or erosion control issues: Rough-in Stormwater Inspection. This inspection will be performed during the rough-in stage, after all sub-contractors have called in. The stormwater compliance inspector will be looking for drainage swales and lot grading, as well as erosion control BMPs. Final Stormwater Inspection. This inspection will be performed during the final stage, after all sub-contractors have called in. The stormwater compliance inspector will be looking for appropriate sodding, debris in the drainage system, etc.

Household Hazardous Waste Collections

To encourage proper disposal of hazardous household waste, the City of Moore has contracted with Oklahoma City to use their state-of-the art facility.

Under 7.5 gallons: 1 free monthly pass per household; more than once per month: $39.50
Between 7.5 – 15 gallons: $79
Between 15 – 22.5 gallons: $118.50
Over 22.5 gallons: $158.00
*Free service may reduced based on level of demand. Please call Moore City Hall to confirm pricing, 793-5000. Address: 1621 S. Portland, OKC
Hours of Operation: T-F-9:30 am – 6:00 pm; Sa-8:30-11:30 am
Phone Number: 682-7038


Stormwater Violations

The Moore City Code calls adding a prohibited substance to the stormwater system an “illicit discharge”. List of common illicit discharges:

-Swimming Pool Water or Chemicals
-Laundry washwater or dishwater
-Garbage, Oil, Paint or rubbish
-Wrecked or discarded vehicles, appliances or equipment
-Yard Waste
-Household Hazardous Waste and Chemical
Dumping any of these items to any street, drainage channel, drainage flume, pond, or creek is illegal. Even if a household product claims to be “environmentally friendly” or “biodegradeable”, it is still not safe or legal to drain to the city’s stormwater system!

If you see an illicit discharge take place, please call 793-5052 to report a “Stormwater Violation”.