Moore Mosquito Control Program
The objectives of the Moore Mosquito Control program are to control nuisance mosquitoes, reduce the potential of mosquito borne disease transmission, and provide a comfortable and healthy atmosphere for community residents. These goals are accomplish by utilizing Integrated Pest Management (IPM). IPM is the combination of several appropriate pest control tactics into a single strategy to reduce pests to an acceptable level. This strategy strives to control mosquitoes while causing minimal disruption to environment and to the public.
Mosquitoes can be annoying and sometimes pose a health risk. There are several steps that individuals can take to prevent mosquitoes.
The most successful way to prevent mosquitoes is to eliminate places where the insects breed:
- Eliminate standing water around homes, apartments and businesses
- Keep lawns mowed since mosquitoes are likely to be found in high grass and weeds
- Keep rain gutters free of leaves and debris to eliminate this as a breeding site
- Empty water dishes, bird baths, wading pools, buckets and flower pots that hold water
- Maintain swimming pools so that water does not become stagnant and attract mosquitoes
Protect you and your family from mosquitoes by remembering the Four Ds:
- DRAIN standing water around your home, apartment or business.
- DUSK/DAWN are the times of day when mosquitoes are most active, so avoid outside activities whenever possible and stay indoors.
- DRESS in long sleeves and pants when outside. Spray clothing with insect repellent.
- DEET is one of the most important ingredients to look for in an insect repellent. The higher percentage of DEET in a repellent, the longer lasting protection it will provide against mosquito bites.
Moore Mosquito Policy
If you notice a few mosquitoes in your area, please make sure that you have eliminated places where mosquitoes breed. If you still see a few insects, please apply insecticide or briquettes made especially for mosquito control. These products are available at local garden, hardware and home improvement stores as well as many other outlets.
At various times during the height of mosquito season the City of Moore will spray areas that may have a large number of mosquitoes and people. Parks, walking trails and areas around ponds or creeks will be targeted to reduce nuisance mosquitoes.
We apply a chemical call Aqualuer® 20-20. It is applied using truck mounted ultra low volume sprayer.